CargoBeamer starts Rostock-Kaldenkirchen service
Extensions to Southern Europe and Scandinavia
CargoBeamer, the leading operator of rail connections for non-craneable semi-trailers in Europe, is expanding its network. Since October, the Kaldenkirchen - Rostock route adds to the portfolio as the first line operating exclusively in Germany. On a total of six roundtrips per week, CargoBeamer enables the transport of craneable and non-craneable semi-trailers as well as P400, refrigerated, silo, and container units by train.
On average, the transit time between Kaldenkirchen and Rostock is 18 hours. Per transported unit, 64% of CO2 emissions are saved compared to road transport, with the remaining 36% being compensated by CO2 certificates, enabling CargoBeamer to operate the line entirely carbon neutral. HSL Logistik GmbH serves as the traction partner.
Maritime and train connections to Scandinavia and Southern Europe
The line runs between the rail terminal in Kaldenkirchen and the port of Rostock. From the latter, there are connections by ferry to various locations in Denmark, Finland, Lithuania, and Sweden, with semi-trailers also transported without the accompaniment of a driver or tractor unit. In a southerly direction, CargoBeamer offers gateway connections via Kaldenkirchen to Perpignan in southern France and Domodossola in northern Italy.
Boris Timm, Chief Operating Officer of CargoBeamer, says: "The addition of Kaldenkirchen - Rostock is the first step in our plans to expand CargoBeamers network with numerous new lines by the end of 2023. With unaccompanied long-distance transport from the Baltic Sea via western Germany to Italy or the French-Spanish border, we are creating a new, attractive offer for our customers. On the historically strong axis from the Iberian Peninsula via Central Europe to Scandinavia, this will provide a new opportunity to shift from road to rail, which will realize further CO2 savings."
The CargoBeamer Group is an innovative logistics service provider in the combined transport between road and rail. As a pioneer in decarbonizing freight transport in Europe on a large scale, its mission is to improve the environment with disruptive and cost-effective solutions to shift freight transport from road to rail. The CargoBeamer system, consisting of patented wagons, transshipment terminals, and logistics software, enables especially non-craneable semi-trailers to be transported by rail, resulting in significantly reducing CO2 emissions and other external costs. Since early 2022, both company and service are certified as carbon neutral. Presently trains are operated in Germany, France, Italy, and the United Kingdom. The company is working on realizing a European network of efficient CargoBeamer terminals, connected in fixed timetables with trains consisting of up to 36 CargoBeamer wagons. It means carbon-neutral rail transport for hundreds of thousands of semi-trailers per year and significant relief for the environment and society.
Communications & Marketing Manager
T: +49 341 652339-19